Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A playoff without NY

I'm over it. I know the Yankees sucked this year. Our offense was horrible. A-Rod and Giambi couldn't hit with RISP. Our rotation usually had guys like Darrell Rasner and Sidney Ponson in it and Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes combined to win 0 games. And yet, we finished with the same record as the New York Metropolitans. And we played in arguably the best division in baseball history. So I'm over it. I've been prepared for my first October without baseball since 1994 (and that was only because of a strike) for a while now.

Mets fans are not over it (cough...Julian). And when I say, Met fans are not over it, I mean they can't stomach the fact that they went out and got Johan Santana, paid him more than any pitcher ever, had him pitch a Cy Young caliber season, and had the team collapse for the second straight season in September. I asked Julian today if he was watching the Brewers-Phillies game today. His response? "Nah too soon." Nah too soon indeed. I completely understand where he's coming from. If I had a bullpen that contained such luminaries as Luis Ayala, Pedro Feliciano, Scott Schoenweis and Aaron Heilman, I might not want to watch playoff baseball either. If I could give a struggling Mets fan one piece of advice, it would be to get over it. Clearly this team was not built for October. There's a reason your team hasn't made the playoffs two years in a row. He was just signed to a four year contract extension. Have fun with Omar!

No comments: